- Words cannot express my excitement to check out the new 24-inch M1 iMac. Why? Because actually guys, I’ve done a lot of soul research, and deep down, I really don’t think I’m that into that in PC. I mean, who wants all those choices for motherboards and displays and graphics cards, when I could just have one choice, the color. Of course there is a little more than that. There's three main tiers of the M1 iMac. (groans) Hold on. Got it. Just gotta open the box. Oh! Just trying to get in, you open the thing and it moves. 

You know what, let's talk about the performance differences between the tiers a little bit later, because first, I just wanna get hands-on with this thing. It, (screaming) Aw! Is really thin. Know but what kind of thing reminds me of something for rape? A gigantic iPad. But with a huge chin on it. Wow! I am like blown away by how light this thing is. Meanwhile, over on the PC side, the concept of a thin client is like a little nook or something that you bolt to the back of the VESA mount on your monitor. 

                                    

But then apple goes, well, I mean, why don't you just put the whole computer in a gigantic chin bar? This is the top tier model. So it comes with somethings that the base ones and even the mid-tier one don't. Starting with four Type-C ports on the back. Now, every model gets two Thunderbolt/USB4 ones, but only the mid-tier and upper tier ones get an additional two USB3 ports. Other than that, we've got the same 500 nit peak brightness, 4.5K display, the same 1080P web cam, which I am extremely excited about. 

I mean, we got A, Apple mobile processing on top of it, and B, finally good hardware for a change. And the same microphone array that apple claims gives us this thing best in class performance, both from an audio input perspective and actually, oh, yes, there's our, I mean, kind of a downward pointing sound bar. There are all internal speakers on the bottom. Get the same keyword, power, and all good things. But the difference is in the application and the interior. Starting of course, with the magic keyboard.

 If you're on the base model, you don't get touch ID on the top right of your magic keyboard. For my part, I think that's honestly already a deal breaker for me for the base model. Touch ID is freaking awesome, always has been and always will be, in my perspective. USB-C to Lightning charging cable. We can put that away for now. Presumably there'll be enough charge to get started, then we... Yes, good old magic mouse. 

Needs Nye should be able to use it while charging, if it can be used for several hours after only a few minutes? That's the kind of work day distraction I need in my life. They consciously decided not to fix it. This puppy right here, this is the optional upgraded power brick that has Apple's new Mag Safe connector. So we just go ahead and... I mean, does it just grab on? Look at that. Wow! It really grabs, doesn't it? And Gigabit Ethernet, and I'm really curious how they do that data, right? Because obviously this can't just be, you know, 12 volts and ground, right?

                                   

 So there has to be a data path here. And it turns out that they've got a really clever little kind of triangle shaped guide on two sides of the center of the Mag Safe connector, which means it can only go in two ways. So you've got what is essentially reversible connector that's got 12 conductors, which would be enough for USB3? What if it's just Lightning? But is that... I know Lightning is not quite standard USB2 cause I'm trying to think if that's even fast enough for Gigabit. Being an apple and being able to love the concept to make things your own. 

Here is what I'm wondering about for you. This is from d brand, who sent over this iPad, and sponsored this video. And they have... This is gonna be a big launch for them. I can tell you because this is good. This is the black color wave for it. But you can see that the overall pattern is gonna have a common theme. And that's that it has this kind of folded steel look, like Damascus steel, which also happens to bear a lot of similarities to the top prestige skin in Call Of Duty. They've got a green outline of their own, which I've seen before. I mean they have families that come with a man, anyway, now it looks like he's really sick.

 As always with dbrand skins, they are perfection fitted, they've got great guides online that you can use to make sure that your applications absolutely perfect. And their configurator is fantastic. It allows you to see what your device will look like in any type of skins and any combination you like. So go check them out. We're gonna have them at the link in the video description. Again, they said they really didn't like the look of a black one on this. I think it looks great. So maybe I don't have any side effects, but you can check out some other skins for your iMac, if this doesn't work for you. Well, we're not quite done with the differences yet.

 There are two other things apples tell you about. One, is in the middle and the upper level is in the other three colors. you will get it in yellow, orange or purple, in addition to blue, green, pink and silver. They come with an 8-Core GPU, rather than a 7-Core GPU. The last difference I know of anyway, is that in the middle and top one, they both come with two fans rejecting more than one. Therefore, it is possible that a second cooler is only necessary for the eighth GPU. But it is possible that there may be less performance between the center and the top and the top. 


We don't know, we haven't tested it yet, this is the first time on opening it. I think if I put in the extra, I can access, plug in an Ethernet cable, right? I'm gonna sound a little spoiled here, but I have to confess I had kind of forgotten how small 24 inches is. It doesn't look like $ 1,300 to start with. That's interesting. Now I mean, I can see why they have a product in this size class, you know, dental offices or whatever, like they need computers too. But yeah, that is not a big display anymore. Look at that. I received the verification code on my apple watch.

 It just works, okay? There's the map of... Not where I am. I’m actually here somewhere, but don’t worry about it. (indistinct) That's what he said. If people can't find their mouse cursor, they go this way and then enlarge and get able to find it.. Sorry, it's just going through Apple's new secure data storage facility in China. They like built it in collaboration with a Chinese government-run entity. Set up Pace here? Sure, why not. Hey Siri, open the documents folder. Wow, that’s faster than clicking it. One nice thing about the Apple environment is, by default it is encrypted. 

Look at that. Do you want to use File Vault to encrypt the disc on your Mac? Heck yeah, I do. And whoa, we can set up touch ID. God, touch ID is so amazing. Just pre-pack touch ID on the iPhone. Just make the Apple logon the back a touch center. Everyone wants it. Whoa! Dark mode. Nice. Neat. Okay, just gonna have to do the first thing that I do, which is turn off True Tone, because, don't understand why it exists. Now, let's talk about the difference going from this one to the high tier model, cause on their website, they've kind of got good, better, best. 

It is pre upgraded from256 gigs of storage to 512. And then you can take half of the team and upgrade to 512 gigs of storage if you want. But then it will be the same. So really there's only two tiers. And just like any M1 based machine, so Mac mini, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, you're going to be limited to a maximum of two terabytes of storage and 16 gigs of Ram. Which again, back to, dental offices and the kind of places that you'd be able to fit a machine like this, is honestly probably fine. 




Cause you're running Safari, right? You're on a Mac. Not running Chrome or anything. Black and real is a clever idea for cable management. Having the network cable just like run somewhere else, and then they go and ruin it by not putting the USB-Con the bottom of the stand or something like that. God, that'd be awesome. But then you won’t be able to put it into the research that we all know many of these will end up with.